Monday, July 29, 2019

He Could Be Your Lucky Star💫

I have been careless a couple of times which luckily gave me an opportunity to learn and unlearn certain aspects about life. Firstly, my passport literally strolled out of my backpack in a foreign country with all the currency I possessed in life as well as my yellow fever card. A month later, I left my phone in the comfort of a public taxi where I was seated as I headed home after a busy and stressful day (like most of us have). On both of these days, I came face to face with my lucky star.

"In a world full of conspiracies, suspicions, dishonesty and unkind hearts, how can a man be all the good I have always wished for" my fast-pacing heart paused in wonder. In the first case, a gentleman called Chris(not real name) literally put all that was on his agenda on a standstill to look for me through all means possible until I recovered my property intact. When he broke the good news to me I was rather confused than excited because I actually had no idea how a passport in the innermost pocket of my bag had sneaked out leaving all my other useless belongings in it. In the second case, I noticed I had lost my phone at the point when I needed it to order for a safeboda home. The lady at the grocery store heard my despair and she reached out to me. After narrating my dilemma, she offered me her phone to ring mine. Honestly, I was hoping for a miracle that my phone rings from somewhere in the vicinity. Alas, a gentleman picked my call and asked me to meet him somewhere assuring me that he would gladly give me my phone. He was a taxi driver and according to my society  these men are always mean, abusive, vulgar, and often associated to crimes of any sorts.

I have never expressed so much faith in the human race like I did in that moment amidst the confusion and all conspiracy stories that entertained my beating heart. The lady at the grocery store immediately asked that I go after my phone claiming that that gentleman wouldn't have picked up if he intended harm. In fact, she had so much faith that she gave me her own phone to go after mine. I literally shed a tear, not because of my phone but at this lady's kindness without a second thought. It was about 8:30pm when I quickly rushed out in her faith and found the taxi man exactly where he asked me to. He handed my phone back, told me another passenger had come across it when I left the taxi and given it to him. Did I say I shed a tear earlier, now I completely sobbed in gratitude. These were so far three different stars shining bright in my dimming night.

I attempted to give him the money I was left with that evening as a sign of gratitude and he rejected it with a certain kind of grace and warmth in his voice. On my way back, I nearly run into cars and everything moving against my direction.

Later, I thought to myself how we have become so used to unkindness, bitterness and all the bad things that have robbed humanity of its face. A bit of my heart felt that these angelic behaviours were certainly not human-like. This altruistic behaviour really got me by surprise. And then I felt guilty of why I always have to expect the worst of people but I haven't known much better. Kampala is a place that suggests that everyone is always upto something usually corrosive. Probably, these amazing people have been sent from heaven to restore my faith in humanity and I challenge myself to be a clear reflection of the same. You too, could be an advocate for kindness regardless of how life has treated you.

One random act of kindness, could bless and change the world with a happier person at a time. Fortunately or unfortunately the kind ones don't always come in cloaks and veils, it could be that neighbour of yours in a taxi with bad breath, he could be your lucky star.

9 comments:

  1. It's the smallest of things that remind you that the world is not as bad as we assume it to be. If we learn to appreciate the little gestures and smile our way through the day. Life will be amazingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the magic is in the messy moments. In their small small portions. We keep learning these. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. To love even when you think you shouldn't makes the difference. Its is expected if us to love those that we love how about those we "shouldn't". It all starts from such small things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True true! Loving is all we got. Regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The devil is in the detail is what pessimists say. Optimists say the angel is in the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The devil is in the detail is what pessimists say. Optimists say the angel is in the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The devil is in the detail is what pessimists say. Optimists say the angel is in the detail.

    ReplyDelete